Widget By Devils Workshop

WELCOME TO KAYAK FISHING ADVENTURES :

This website was created to house internal and external drafts containing reports associated with the art of angling and our Kayak Fishing Adventures. Based in and around cities and locations throughout Australia, these tales of experience, knowledge and info are for all to enjoy and all content, text and images contained herein are deemed strictly copyright ( (C) 2006 - 2012, all rights reserved ).

For more information, please read our websites Terms of use.

Sunday, December 30, 2012

TROLLING OUT THE CRAZY YEAR THAT WAS 2012

Photobucket

Another year rolls around, still were kicking on strong and loving this sport, right?

Reflecting on another year enjoying the sport seems a little difficult this new year's message. What it really boils down to is some commitment issues revolving work and life (And all that jazz). Right from the start of 2012 I knew my attendance at fishing tournaments would be slim to nil this year, after rolling the dice for many years it was time for a break. Looking back I can see why I loved entering in as many as I could, and funnily enough it wasn’t always about winning either. The thing is, even though they cost you good coin to enter they forced me to fish, and think about fishing on a whole new level.


Still, I entered one or two and had a ball, but alas missed out on so many others. It's not the be all end all though as it did give me some solid opportunities to chase Trout in Eucumbene and social fish with mates in estuaries up and down the south coast. The thing is after working a big week in the construction industry your pretty well toast, with hours pushing 12 a day. Packing for a quick kayak trip became harder and harder, and then, well, my baby son was born. Say no more, trips became even more sporadic and turned into flick and dash Carp bank bashes once a blue moon.

Far from a sob story though, some good mates and I moved crazy steps beyond hair rigs and began braining these invaders in super large numbers. The fight is hard, they are in good numbers and they make excellent fertiliser in garden beds. Soon everyone was in on the show and even though the species targeted was perhaps deemed squalor style it was some of the most entertaining angling I have ever had. A mate even caught one out of his kayak floating a worm dug up from my garden, turned out said fish was so big it won a nationwide fishing tournament (Satisfying just to see the beast).

As my son got older my leave passes grew to the point where trips interstate were possible, Lake Eucumbene played host to some great fishing with a couple of firsts for me. Snapper down the coast seemed like a world away as time and time again the fish failed to find my offerings. Definitely tougher this year than others but a few decent reds got caught around the local haunts from kayakers. Back to the fishing world on foot to squeeze in a few more local missions, but the landscaping needs to be finished and the vegetable garden needs a spruce.

So all of a sudden I'm nesting, preferring to concentrate on providing in some way shape or form for my family rather than gallivant around the countryside chasing dream of a lifetime fish. I missed out on some epic trips but gained a new found appreciation for angling, any angling. My purist nature started to diminish to the point I was fishing with Shimano products and not giving a hoot (A big deal for me!).The fly rod got a dusting off in the hunt for some natives, but that's a task that is still ongoing. Gear started to fail, reels died, sounders stopped working... The rigours of it all.

With work shutting down over the Christmas break I finally got around to installing some electric motors I have had sitting in the garage. Been testing the mounts and the fit out and taken them for a few test runs to iron out any safety bugs. The results have been pleasing with both being a completely removable system (Not one drill hole, not even one). Even bumped into a fellow yakker way upstream today who had recently done the same type of install. While everything old may not have been new again that kayak fishing glint had finally returned to my eye.

With work deadline pressures eased, progression at work evolving, kids both entering full time child care and a few other milestones 2013 really feels like it's going to be my year. I can see trips setting off to new destinations, I can see totally new avenues with fly and power from the kayak, I can see a foray back to chasing bastard bream in tournaments, I can see new friendships made but most of all I can see reward. A long arduous year behind me cutting my teeth at work and at home may all be worth it, even if all I will ever be is some kind of tragic weekend warrior.

To my family, friends, sponsors, work colleagues and anyone else who featured in my life this year all I can say is thanks for the support, here's to a dexterous 2013. To kayak fishermen all over the world reading this thanks for visiting http://www.kfa.net.au (Kayak Fishing Adventures) and the corresponding Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/kfa.net.au (Kayak Fishing Adventures). To keep things rolling for readers there will be some exciting giveaways over the forthcoming months courtesy of Custom Lure Art (Amongst others) and my deep pockets.

Play smart peeps, wear a lifejacket at all times, and always stay safe whilst on the water.

Derek 'Paffoh' Steele