Widget By Devils Workshop

WELCOME TO KAYAK FISHING ADVENTURES :

This website was created to house internal and external drafts containing reports associated with the art of angling and our Kayak Fishing Adventures. Based in and around cities and locations throughout Australia, these tales of experience, knowledge and info are for all to enjoy and all content, text and images contained herein are deemed strictly copyright ( (C) 2006 - 2012, all rights reserved ).

For more information, please read our websites Terms of use.

Monday, April 27, 2009

NSW - Googong Dam 27/4/09



Horrible, horrible weather but my Googong curse was broken,

Didn’t expect many of the forum few to turn up so wasn’t the least surprised when I departed alone. Wind was probably 20 knots and pushing more with greater gusts so shelter was priority over anything else. Bradleys Inlet took a lot longer to reach that usual, mainly due to the balancing act I was playing on the 1m waves in the central basin. Once in the inlet things became slightly more secluded, being able to hide in the coves provided respite from the bitterly cold conditions.

Peppering Spinnerbaits in all directions a spotted a following shape that disappeared as quickly as it came (Decent Murray Cod) but for the likes of me I couldn’t tempt him again. Trolling produced nothing for me, not even a Redfin on the Chubby. Seems the 10 degree weather with wind chill was just as cold below the water as well as above (Water temp was 13 degrees, 12 degrees in the shadows), needless to say I had the whole place to myself, no boats, nothing.

Struggling to catch anything but a cold I had some minor success on the Ayu Chubby (Thanks again Luke, legend). However one Redfin decided to spit the lure back at me, narrowly missing my nose. Nothing like a sheer moment of terror to waken you up, felt both sets of trebles brush past my top lip. I retired it then and there, no way was I tempting fate so far from the ramp in such atrocious state of affairs… What to use, what to bloody well use?

Cycling through lure choice, the rocky structures headlining bays were just not doing it for me today. Chose to hide in amongst and cast out into the deeper water, first cast with the now infamous Daiwa Flick Beat IZM produced a good bend, breaking my Googong hoodoo and securing my first Native out of this waterway in three years of trying (Phew, didn’t like those slim odds today). Not a metre plus Murray Cod, but my preferred freshwater species on the cast even.

Went straight home after that, with cloud cover maximizing any left over space the chill started getting to me, even with full thermals and wet weather gear. Can’t say it was a good day for a paddle so don’t blame others for hugging their doonas, pretty happy I managed to get some footage for Ugly Fish Eyewear at all, considering it was all against me. Couple of land based noobs back at the ramp and some loner in a Hobie setting out into the wobbly (Sound familiar Paf?).

The things I do for fun, work would have been almost better… Not!