Widget By Devils Workshop

WELCOME TO KAYAK FISHING ADVENTURES :

This website was created to house internal and external drafts containing reports associated with the art of angling and our Kayak Fishing Adventures. Based in and around cities and locations throughout Australia, these tales of experience, knowledge and info are for all to enjoy and all content, text and images contained herein are deemed strictly copyright ( (C) 2006 - 2012, all rights reserved ).

For more information, please read our websites Terms of use.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

SOUTH DURRAS - NSW SOUTH COAST 25/07/09



Well it was absolutely freezing this morning, I had ice on my windscreen for the first time this winter. Luke and I arrived at the South Durras beach ramp around 6:30am and as much as I wanted to just sit in the car with the heater running the conditions looked too good to miss out on so out into the cold i go and start the unload. I have to say, I really like that launch spot, it doesnt get much easier than that I paddled about 500m from the launch spot to start at the Southern side of Wasp island and sent out a 7" Gulp jerkshad on the heavier rod and a 7" Squidgee flickbait on the light rod and started a drift in about 12m of water with little result.

Before long i had drifted into 20m of water and sounded up some very interesting bottom structure with lots of baitfish in mid water. I thought i felt a bump come from the rear rod holder and looked back to see the heavier rod loaded up looking like it was snagged, then it lifted again and straight away buckled over and line started to peel off at a fast rate. I grabbed the rod and began the battle, this fish was very powerfull stripping the 15lb line like it was nothing, i called out to Luke letting him know i was onto a solid fish and after about 2-3mins the hook suddenly just popped out!!

I was gutted, it was probably the biggest and strongest fish I have ever hooked on the yak and was really looking forward to getting it up for some photo's, but it was not to be, hopefully next time ill have more luck. Luke and i worked that area pretty hard for the next 30mins or so with no more luck so I decided to move to a different area in shallower water, Squidder and Neville turned up just before we moved so we all went down to the new spot to hopefully get onto some Snapper.

The new drift was setup close to a cliff face in 10m of water and almost straight away i got onto my first Snapper of the day which would have only been about 40cm but at least I avoided the donut. The struggle for decent fish continued for the next hour at least until i came accross another very fishy looking structure on the sounder again in 20m of water and just as my lures passed over it a solid hit was registered on the light rod and i was onto what felt like a decent Snapper, once I got the fish to within sight I was very suprised to see it wasnt a Snapper but a nice Blue Morwong approx 45-50cm which is a first ever for me so a new PB was in the bag.

Once I had worked that area over, I decided to paddle another 50m south to fish the Myrtle beach headland. Chucked the heavier rod in the rear rod holder and cast the lighter setup toward to edge of the rocks, the lure was slowly dropping through the water column when i felt a bump in the rear rod holder and just as I looked back the light rod I was holding got smacked and line started to run (not hard fishing 6lb) I could see the fish on the sounder come up 3-4m then dive back down 2m etc. but I was gaining line slowly so remained patient and played the fish out and eventually slid the net under him. Im yet to measure that one too, but I suspect it might be a new Snapper PB as well, it will go close at least so ill have to wait and see.

The rest of the session was pretty quiet, except for a wrasse that was bitten in half by a small shark on the way to the yak so i figured it was a good time to call it a day and start the paddle back towing a lure, which was pointless as i didnt get any interest at all. A great day to be out, most of us were off the water by about 2pm so it was a fairly solid session although it was a bit slow but still good fun. South Durras is a very interesting place which im sure will hold some true trophy fish, so I will be back for another round soon.