Widget By Devils Workshop

WELCOME TO KAYAK FISHING ADVENTURES :

This website was created to house internal and external drafts containing reports associated with the art of angling and our Kayak Fishing Adventures. Based in and around cities and locations throughout Australia, these tales of experience, knowledge and info are for all to enjoy and all content, text and images contained herein are deemed strictly copyright ( (C) 2006 - 2012, all rights reserved ).

For more information, please read our websites Terms of use.

Monday, April 19, 2010

NSW - POPPING MY 'SQUIDDING' CHERRY 17/4/10

Photobucket

Popped my virgin Squid cherry, with some guidance...

A lot of friends and family wonder why I refer to Jason has Squidder, I explain its self typified and he now needs no real introduction at dinner parties. Having known Jason for many years now I have watched him fish for Squid on the South Coast but never joined in. Perhaps it was the stains on his kayak, or the chance to fry bigger fish, either way I never saw the appeal. Recently I journeyed offshore with Jason, chasing some Snapper and using ‘Squidding’ as a backup plan (luckily we had one as the fishing was poor). He explained the technique, helped me with a float rig and lent me some jigs (A bright larger one and a couple of natural smaller patterns).

Didn’t take long before I had landed a couple, even being towed by one (It wasn’t that big). The rhythmic pulse of a low set drag and the challenge of avoiding the dreaded inking kept me entertained until light faded away. I asked a lot of questions and soaked up as much information as I could, this was the type of fishing Claire would enjoy. From what I can (Proponent to this location) gather they are either there or they are not, can be caught (Sometimes) throughout the day but are mostly found in active numbers in rising and fading light (Again, in this area).

I made a kick arse recipe that I will share with you all at a later date (Using bought Squid) but I can now guarantee it would be far better with fresh, caught Squid. Cleaning Squid was a little messy but it’s a fairly rapid that in my opinion is far easier than filleting fish. Given that we paid $8.00 for 4 medium size tubes from the fish market (Arrow Squid now doubt) a decent harvest of Southern Calamari is well worth the manpower, and the effort. I will prompt Jason to perhaps develop a better overview/ structure to/of targeting Squid from a kayak (For beginners), hopefully available here online in the near future.