Widget By Devils Workshop

WELCOME TO KAYAK FISHING ADVENTURES :

This website was created to house internal and external drafts containing reports associated with the art of angling and our Kayak Fishing Adventures. Based in and around cities and locations throughout Australia, these tales of experience, knowledge and info are for all to enjoy and all content, text and images contained herein are deemed strictly copyright ( (C) 2006 - 2012, all rights reserved ).

For more information, please read our websites Terms of use.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

AN INTERVIEW WITH STEWART 'BLUEYAK' DUNN

Photobucket

Stewart Dunn is a name many people whisper around tournament gatherings, “I wonder how Stuey went?” is usually a silly question. You see, ever since Craig and I met Stewart at round 1 of the 2009 Hobie ABT tournament we couldn’t help but be impressed. Not only was he showing class skills second to none he also pointed me in the direction of some healthy fishing, even though it could have resulted in his downfall (Luckily for him, I flopped badly – ed).

His tournament wins and placings in the various Kayak Fishing comps have earned him great dollars, greater friends and the greatest respect from one and all. He fishes more than most of us think, chasing many types of species and topping PB’s weekly. For Stewart though It’s not all about the glory, it’s about the sharing and Involvement with mates. KFA caught up with ‘The Little Maestro’ for a quick chat, asking the questions most people hardly ever get around to come inquiry time:


How long have you been kayak fishing and how did you get into it?

A: I've been kayak fishing for around ten years now. Originally i was looking for a hobby that would let me get some exercise and keep me on the water when I wasn't surfing, I bought a kayak frenzy and started hitting the local back waters looking for bream on lures. I was instantly addicted and after all these years I still can't get enough.


Most people know you from your blue Ocean kayak Frenzy, how was winning a new Hobie Outback and what has it done to enhance your kayak fishing experience?

A: Winning the Hobie Outback in the Forster fishing carnival (round 4 ABT kayak 2009) was awesome. Apart from the fact that it is simply a much more comfortable kayak to fish out of it has really changed the way I fish at certain spots. Holding position with the mirage drive makes it so much easier to fish around bridge pylons in current looking for Jews. It means I can keep my lures in the strike zone so much longer.

Photobucket


You have done very well in both the SSBS and the ABT Hobie Kayak fishing tournaments, what; if anything have you learned or gained while competing in these competitions?

A: I've had a great time fishing both the Hobie/ABT kayak and the SSBS tournaments. It's been such a good learning curve. You really need to head out with a plan of spots to fish and try not to be concerned by what others are or aren't catching. One thing that really took me by surprise is that fishing a spot that has just been flogged can sometimes pay off. I used to believe that once a spot had been fished pretty hard you may as well just leave it alone but if you try to show the fish something different it can really pay off.

I've also made some great friendships out of the bream tournaments so it's been a really positive experience for me. I remember being so nervous at the first one I went to but I would definitely recommend any one who is considering it to give it a go. It really is the quickest way to improve your skills.


The south Sydney Kayak fishing community seems quite strong and has bonded well with us lads from Canberra and the NSW South Coast, why do you think that is?

A: It's been great fishing with the Canberra and South Coast crew, getting amongst some of those cracking reds on silly string and having a ball at the comps. I'm really enjoying the mateship and friendly rivalry that has evolved within that crew.

Photobucket


Who do you look up to in kayak fishing tournament circles and why?

A: There are so many good guys who I look up to in the kayak fishing scene. Guys like Greg Lewis, Meechy, Craig Coughlan, Jason Price, Carl Dubious, Andrew Death, Scotty Baker and Peter Woods. All these guys can string a bag together wherever they go. To be up there competing with those guys is such a thrill.


What is your favourite species to target from a kayak / favourite area to fish?

A: I like chasing Jew, kings, snapper and bream equally, they all have their own challenges and rewards. Some days the hardest thing is choosing where to go and what to chase with so much good fishing to be had these days. My favourite style of bream fishing would have to be fishing oyster racks; it can be so brutal yet very rewarding.


What about your Barra experience, what it was like hauling in a monster from your Frenzy?

A: Catching meter plus barra from our small kayaks was so much fun. I'll never forget the look on my friend Leigh Blakes face as an absolute beast of a fish came up beside him and threw the hook in an almighty boil, or the first barra I ever saw when my other mate on the trip hooked into a good one amongst the tree's and it launched from the water just meters from me. It really was exciting stuff and we all had meter plus barra under our belts at the end of the trip.

Photobucket


Tell us about the one place you are dying to fish from your kayak?

A: I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY WANT TO GO BACK THERE!


Any goals or future movements for the one nicknamed ‘The Little Maestro?’

A: My goals for kayak fishing will be to keep going down the same road I'm heading, doing well in comps and trying new stuff all the time. By the way, big thank you to Paul and all from Sailing Scene Mona Vale for their past and current support.