Widget By Devils Workshop

WELCOME TO KAYAK FISHING ADVENTURES :

This website was created to house internal and external drafts containing reports associated with the art of angling and our Kayak Fishing Adventures. Based in and around cities and locations throughout Australia, these tales of experience, knowledge and info are for all to enjoy and all content, text and images contained herein are deemed strictly copyright ( (C) 2006 - 2012, all rights reserved ).

For more information, please read our websites Terms of use.

Monday, August 3, 2009

NSW - DEPOT BEACH & SPOT X 1/8/09


Unable to stay away from the tremendous South Coast fishing on offer at present, I headed back to Depot Beach again early Saturday morning, and was greeted by flat seas - once I paddled out from the shelter of the headland it became apparent that there was a fairly stiff breeze blowing.

With the drift as strong as it was I used 3/8oz jigheads, and was still struggling to keep the plastics down deep enough. After giving the 14-20m area a good going over and catching just about every variety of rubbish fish there is, I paddled in to start a drift in 9m, and immediately hooked something that felt a bit more susbtantial - the fish was taking line, but different to a snapper and with few head shakes, after a few minutes I was surprised and delighted when my first ever blue morwong surfaced. A gorgeous fish, I hope it tastes as good as it looks.

Shortly after I hooked what felt like a good snapper, but the hook pulled after the first run. I free spooled the plastic back down and hooked up again immediately to a smaller fish. This was the first fish I've caught on the 'Satay chicken' coloured 5" jerk shad, which has to be the ugliest coloured plastic ever (pumkinseed/chartreuse).

A couple more drifts and I'd had enough, and managed to convince Craig to take me to some of his secret drummer spots. A quick trip to the tackle shop was in order first, to buy an 8 foot rod for fishing lightly weighted bread and cabbage baits, my choice to go for the 6kg instead of 8kg version was foolish, as the rod snapped a couple of hours later on a big drummer when we were both pulling in opposite directions with all our might. Prior to the snap, we managed a good mixed bag off the rocks with leatherjackets, bream, drummer and 'cockies'.


As the shadows drew long I was keen for a quick session on the squid with some new jigs I just bought, so dropped Craig home and raced to Spot X, where I managed 4 nice shallow water inkers (and dropped 5) just as darkness fell.



The problem I now face is cooking a meal of morwong fillets and squid, which is so delicious that my girlfriend goes easy on me about the ink stains all over her previously pristine kayak (which I had borrowed for the day. The south coast is definately the place to be this time of year, with many species biting well.