Widget By Devils Workshop

WELCOME TO KAYAK FISHING ADVENTURES :

This website was created to house internal and external drafts containing reports associated with the art of angling and our Kayak Fishing Adventures. Based in and around cities and locations throughout Australia, these tales of experience, knowledge and info are for all to enjoy and all content, text and images contained herein are deemed strictly copyright ( (C) 2006 - 2012, all rights reserved ).

For more information, please read our websites Terms of use.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

COMBINING AN OLD AND A NEW FRIEND

Photobucket

Having purchased my first fishing ‘yak’ a couple of years ago, my thoughts turned to how can I manage the long wand from it? There’s a school of thought that the two activities are mutually exclusive. The reality is, if you can sit in a chair and wave a stick around, you’re halfway there.

For me, the set up and storage was going to be the most important factor as I'm fairly limited to space on the Yak. To counter this, setting up the rod prior to launch is an absolute must. Piecing together a 9ft fly rod, and threading a fly line through it can be a logistical nightmare in such limited space, prior preparation takes this out of the equation.

Now for the storage part, a 9ft rod doesn’t slip into the back pocket easily and the shortened butt doesn’t allow for it to be slipped into any existing rod holders on my yak. Simple solution for me; grab a $3 screw on rod holder from Big W, take a small vertical section out of the centre of the holder and voila, somewhere to pop it in, nice and tight. There are designated rod holders manufactured by scotty (and others) which are ideal for laying your rod down. But for me, having it tucked in by my right shoulder is ideal. Now for the fun part!

My first foray into fly-fishing from the yak was a visit to my local, Lake Ginninderra. ‘Ginny’ is located on the north side of Canberra in Belconnen, a short 5 min drive from home. I’d been given a heads up by some of the Canberra Massive that ‘Ginny’ holds a resident population of native and introduced species; my target species for the day, Redfin. These guys are quite prolific in the local waterways in and around Canberra, and are a worthy opponent on the fly due to their ferocity and willingness to chase anything that moves.

Having launched from the boat ramp close to Ginninderra Drive, it was only a short paddle over to the reeds that surround the bank I wanted to fish. A quick cursory look around to ensure my back cast was clear and I commenced. To be honest, it didn’t take long for me to get comfortable with casting, even in the seated position. If you know me, standing and kayak don't mesh well. In no time my Bass vampire fairly got monstered, 2 false casts and it was nailed as it settled on the water. It was no behemoth, but it was a first! 11cm (maybe 12) of unabated fury graced me on the yak.

Truthfully, apart from the hit, I actually didn’t know he was on. I continued to pepper the same area and intermittently, his friends kept dropping in. A nice little 2 hour session provided many touches and takes and by the end of it, I’d managed 6 fish of around the same size. For me, it wasn’t so much about the size, quantity or fight; it was more about knowing my capabilities in the yak, and the challenge and combining an old and new friend.

Since that first trip, I’ve chased estuary species in the Sth Coast lakes; flathead, whiting and Bream with varying success, and unsuccessfully chased natives in the local lakes. To be honest, my lack of success on natives is my own damacles, I once was once told by a guide; ‘each time you take your spin or baitcasting gear on the water, the fly rod tends to be neglected’. This has proved to be true and something I aim to rectify in 2010.

My goal in 2010, a native on fly (Watch this space...)