Widget By Devils Workshop

WELCOME TO KAYAK FISHING ADVENTURES :

This website was created to house internal and external drafts containing reports associated with the art of angling and our Kayak Fishing Adventures. Based in and around cities and locations throughout Australia, these tales of experience, knowledge and info are for all to enjoy and all content, text and images contained herein are deemed strictly copyright ( (C) 2006 - 2012, all rights reserved ).

For more information, please read our websites Terms of use.

Sunday, December 6, 2009

NSW - FANGACT COD OPENING WEEKEND 2009



Defending last years title was going to be hard...

Bloody hard, in fact it was almost impossible but fish were caught by a chosen few. The FangACT crew have a gathering at Burrinjuck the first weekend of Cod open season and last year I managed the winning fish. Been looking forward to this weekend for a long time but the fishing was hard, from the reports gathered on the FangACT website only one member of Fang landed a legal Cod while others got bricked and busted off (Or like me, caught bugger all).

Not to say the kayak collective didnt try, Jason, myself and Josh (Koich) covered a lot of ground on Saturday and struggled. Jason got distracted by sight fishing for Carp while I just trolled and trolled and trolled till I couldnt troll no more. Even the Redfin were in thin numbers but the Carp were in plague proportions (Didnt help the weekends cause). Just when I thought the game was up I spied a following Cod buzzing towards my Spinnerbait but it just wasnt interested.

Boats would come and go from the ramps and a dozen or so big Cod were kept for the table from other visiting anglers (Each to their own) but thats 12 fish between 60 + boats with an average of 3 anglers per boat. Pretty poor odds given the size of this fishery, I spoke to a known Canberra Cod angler who mentioned it just wasnt happening and blamed water temperature, lack of warmth and other factors (If anyone would have a clue, he probably would).

Still, on returning home I was pleasantly suprised to read Fang member Pitch had managed a decent fish on Saturday before lunch (Staying otherside of Dam, didnt catch up with remaining group) and so recieves the trophy for 12 months. I admit it was hard to hand it over as the collection of annual trophies is dwindling, but its a worthy fish from someone who deserves far more than me to have their name on the trophy (Congratulations again Grant).

Looking forward to next year and finding that silly mojo I lost in 2009...