Widget By Devils Workshop

WELCOME TO KAYAK FISHING ADVENTURES :

This website was created to house internal and external drafts containing reports associated with the art of angling and our Kayak Fishing Adventures. Based in and around cities and locations throughout Australia, these tales of experience, knowledge and info are for all to enjoy and all content, text and images contained herein are deemed strictly copyright ( (C) 2006 - 2012, all rights reserved ).

For more information, please read our websites Terms of use.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

NSW S.COAST - NORTH TURA BEACH 29/1/11

Photobucket

After a big week long holiday kayaking and fishing (Separate, together, whatever) at Bemm River I returned back to Canberra and then left almost straight away. Had my step Mother’s 60th down the far South Coast of NSW (Pambula to be exact) and believe it or not I didn’t take the kayak. At first I thought I was going crazy but I soon realised I just needed a relaxing trip away with bugger all baggage. I still wanted to go fishing whilst there but what would be the easiest way to wet a line without plunging a family social calender into selfish disarray?

The easiest and most waining choice would be a quick beach session, most probably solo on the arriving night. My old 13’ outfit felt quite heavy and the 10kg Maxima Ultragreen wasn’t going to do me any favours in the ‘bite’ department, maybe I could (Make that should) buy a new outfit on the way?. I didn’t need a combo too crazy, just lighter and spooled with sensitive line. Rovex Aureus with under bound guides, made of a carbon composite fitted the bill nicely. I matched this to a more salt tolerant Rovex Big Boss 6500, spooled with 25lb Super PE and a 40lb Sunline Shock Leader.

Dad mentioned he was up for an early flick and that North Tura beach was a good option (backing up the actual helpful advice from the tackle shop employee). Tide chart suggested an early morning sortie so the pilchards were purchased and the sinker pounds packed. As it turned out the new rod made casting into the surf much easier, that and it was damn light. Accompanied with the Super PE and new reel, beach fishing proved to be a more enjoyable affair than I dared to remember (Not really fair comparison to my old heavy Penn combo).

Smack bang on the incoming tide the Salmon came on thick and fast. The first Salmon busted my 40lb leader on its primary agitated lunge (Bang,bang,bang, gone). Dad was loading up like a champ while I retied, spying my free hooked Salmon fleeing through the waves in the process. They weren’t the biggest I had ever seen, girth wise though they were massive. Just as quickly as they came on after a few fish each they simply disappeared. If we arrived 10 minutes earlier the score would have been doubled but hey, this was a quick mercy dash to keep my jitterbugs at bay.

Thanks for the company Dad, a throwback to good old Shoalhaven 7 mile...