Widget By Devils Workshop

WELCOME TO KAYAK FISHING ADVENTURES :

This website was created to house internal and external drafts containing reports associated with the art of angling and our Kayak Fishing Adventures. Based in and around cities and locations throughout Australia, these tales of experience, knowledge and info are for all to enjoy and all content, text and images contained herein are deemed strictly copyright ( (C) 2006 - 2012, all rights reserved ).

For more information, please read our websites Terms of use.

Monday, February 28, 2011

SQUIDGY SOUTHERN BREAM SERIES - ROUND TWO

Photobucket

A win and two donuts, better than we predicted...

The Clyde River round of the 2011 SSBS tournament series was held on Sunday the 27th February in mixed conditions. The weather was quite surreal as it changed from rainy and overcast to muggy and hot, far from the predicted 30 degrees a local assured me of (Yes Moi Moi, you). Another great field turned out with numerous boats and 20 kayakers, all ready to take on the stubbornness that only Nelligen’s fishery could produce. I had some demons that needed exorcising here and promised myself I wouldn’t rest till it was all said and buried. There is never a clear winner at the Clyde round, just scrappers and bleeders battling it out on a very level playing field.

Before I go any further I must say that as a system I detest this place, it’s not that its a bad location (Far from it) for a tournament it’s just my general fishing experiences here have been rather poor. It’s a very up and down system and it should be noted that many moons ago it was an ABT fishing arena but was removed from their calendars due to its poor bag limit showing (Guessing that last part). The facilities in the area are great, the township of Nelligen quite pleasant, the bloody Jewfish iconic but when it comes to Bream fishing the Nelligen end just plain bites. Can you tell that I got served up a big fat donut at this round, making it a hat trick at this venue and putting me well on the way to half a dozen Krispy Kremes? (Or do I need more passion?). Just remember though, I’m not suggesting the SSBS follow the ABT lead here... Not at all.

Thankfully it was fun day on the water but the exercise in both my legs and patience were probably overextended. Met a few new people and caught up with ‘The Massive’ crew out in full force, minus master Patwah. Good old Craig Coughlan took out the Nelligen round (Well deserved) followed by Andrew Death and Rob Chambers. Stu somehow managed a fish on his way back to the beach while both Jason and I shared similar stories of lost fish and bloody Estuary Perch. More than once I had my ‘Pants pulled down’ by finicky Bream that would hit hard, even returning to nip and run (Brand new lure, straight out the pack). For some reason I just couldn’t find a hook set all day, the only patch of Bream I could of possibly managed a fish from was right near the end of a 18km round trip from start to finish (Lessons learned, don’t explore and stick with what you know).

My example of the day comes from a wayward cast into an elongated snag pile in a foot of water. As the lure sailed over a branch miles to high off the water it tea bagged into the drink and was hit hard on a light drag. All I could mutter was ‘Oh no’ as this Bream took my Khamsin deeper into the tree, swimming under branches and by now lying on its side. My braid resembled a spider’s web and just as I positioned the kayak in a way that would allow some kind of lateral thinking on how to reclaim at least some of the braid back the Bream swam out past me. With no pressure on I quickly gathered up my now limp line and peered in the water, great its a bream and legal too.

I reached for the net and noticed my Nitro rod bent in half stuck in-between the rear rod holder and a rather large tree branch. Expecting two snaps now I somehow managed to free my rod from its barky grip and returned my attention to this trouble causing bastard fish, which in the end simply smiled, opened its mouth and swam away. It didn’t change my day as I was sincerely humbled by this fish (And that’s an understatement) and was feeling both ends of the spectrum (Devastated and delighted). On one hand it would have been an average start to compiling a bag (By legal I mean maybe 28cm tip?) and I blew it, but on the other it was still early enough to do something about it. Oh Big Island must be just around that corner, perhaps I will just meander a couple more kilometres along the banks and hope to god the tide stops ripping through... Oh dear oh dear.

My original life plan for February was take a trip to Tasmania, catch up with Claire’s family and fish the St. Helens round of the ABT. As I drove home I pondered their leader board and felt quite jealous of the blue nosed bruisers that they had to of been catching. One could only imagine that these two events, in different locations (On the same day) would bring about such strikingly similar results. Congratulations to the Basin Lure and Fly crew for another great round. Great result again Craig and congratulations for taking out a round close to home; good to see you back on a kayak and doing so well.

For full tournament results, please click
here.