Widget By Devils Workshop

WELCOME TO KAYAK FISHING ADVENTURES :

This website was created to house internal and external drafts containing reports associated with the art of angling and our Kayak Fishing Adventures. Based in and around cities and locations throughout Australia, these tales of experience, knowledge and info are for all to enjoy and all content, text and images contained herein are deemed strictly copyright ( (C) 2006 - 2012, all rights reserved ).

For more information, please read our websites Terms of use.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

My Hobie Quest Kayak ( Mary Jane )


Picked her up a few months ago after a quick trip down the bay, dealer installed rudder and once home I actually drilled the Hobie rod mount in myself without hesitating too much ( Was really simple, even after 6 months I still pondered for awhile ), love the granite green so much and she was a pleasure to paddle for the few hours in windy conditions on Lake Tuggeranong ( Unfortunately no fish ).

Long, sleek and potent what a green machine she is after I installed a dedicated in-hull sounder and new fishfinder that is mounted permanently in the tray holder below along with the GPS mount for my Garmin map 76s ( Will keep old Piranha max10 FF for my Outfitter ).

My other kayak ( Hobie Outfitter tandem ) is a pig of a yak and with a J - bar on I can just fit both kayaks on securely, It was a hard decision not to get another Mirage drive Hobie which came down to one major factor, money... Quest was a great buy and the SWMBO gradually was won over on that fact alone but I must say I wanted a paddle craft for the experience and fitness aspect ( Legs have done very well after 6 months of mirage drive training ), I also eventually wish to try beach launching in surf conditions...

Even though a Hobie Outback seems to maintain constant speed easily with the Mirage drive system the Quest absolutely cuts through the water like a knife, so much easier than the Outfitter ( Especially solo ) so was very happy with its maiden voyage, how it compares to other paddle kayaks I don't know but next time I get a chance I will swap paddle craft with someone for awhile and get a comparative view for all.

8" hatches are an optional extra these days ( $$$ ), picked one up for about $80 from Great Outdoors and Funda and I installed it, Still getting use to the paddling aspect but enjoying it heaps, just don't like drifting away and not being able to hold position, might start using the anchor and burying it into the weeds, sand or reef.

The Ram mount for my GPS ( #RAM-HOL-GA6 ) is behind the fishfinder on the slant section towards the end of the tackle tray, very happy and nice feel with the Ram... Because I sit above eye level these seem to line up without getting in the way of each other allowing my line of sight on the GPS to be perfect.


Added the Scotty light mount on top of the rear hatch, mounted with 316 grade stainless steel bolts and sikaflex for a tight finish... Can still use the hatch and open it 90% of the way for a small dry bag stash spot or perhaps something not needed on an hourly basis.

Also bought a 1.5l camelback hydration system and mounted it onto the Quest seat by tightening buckels and threading on through arms of system, Quest seats have nothing behind or attatched to them and I sit nice and forward... I always have the forward seat straps pulled as far as possible to force myself to sit up while paddling so this creates a small ammount of room behind the seat even while sitting in it.

No more drink bottles for me!

Hmmm what else to do, I dont like crates so....