Widget By Devils Workshop

WELCOME TO KAYAK FISHING ADVENTURES :

This website was created to house internal and external drafts containing reports associated with the art of angling and our Kayak Fishing Adventures. Based in and around cities and locations throughout Australia, these tales of experience, knowledge and info are for all to enjoy and all content, text and images contained herein are deemed strictly copyright ( (C) 2006 - 2012, all rights reserved ).

For more information, please read our websites Terms of use.

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Canberra - Lake Burley Griffin 20/1/07 & 21/1/07 ( Archive )


Lake Burley Griffin - Saturday 20th January 2007

It was the night before Christmas, no wait wait...

It was the afternoon that felt like Christmas after nicking out earlier in the day to the local tackle store and buying a dedicated Redfin / Trout light rod and reel setup ( Daiwa Procaster z, Daiwa Proshooter 1500 ), avoiding the heat of the day Allan and his partner Susie picked me up around 6pm and we headed to launch from the banks on the eastern side of the peninsula sheltered from the steady wind blowing approximately 30kmh from the north west ( Barometer 1008 hpa falling, no moon & 36 degrees ).

After some fumbling on shore and myself almost taking a tumble into the water we left the safety of the treeline and commenced loitering around the gates of Redfin Land, most fish were congregating at the 12 foot mark in 20 foot of water ( Nothing much around the weed beds except smaller specimens ) and almost immediately Allan hooked onto a smaller fish while I managed to land a 15cm Redfin that had totally engulfed the lure, once released it floated off much to my dismay.

Allan managed loads of hits on his Jackal TN50 with Susie watching proudly, the man is a machine landing tiddler after tiddler ( Including 2 Redfin on the 1 lure ) while I decided a cruise around the 8m mark bordering the weed line would be the order of the day, some bigger Redfin were found schooling around my Viking Talisman and many were over the 30cm mark with a bruiser around 35cm towing me half way towards Yarralumla Bay heavily assisted from the wind.

Paddling back towards Allan and Susie, Squidder turned up yakless for a bank fish, heckling my Photoshop skills and fishing at the same time was too much for me to handle so I moved on down towards the infamous Cod snags of yesteryear were Allan had firmly entrenched camp looking to drop in on a couple of his old mates ( All while Susie enjoyed her first paddle from the now infamous 'Pink' kayak )... Funda didn't seem to have much luck with the natives due to the presence of fishing marauders prowling the peninsula and perhaps other factors so I paddled past trolling a deep Boomerang lure kindly given to me by Cod Whisperer.

About half way round my heavy baitcaster took a battering and after grabbing the rod from the holder the line went slack, after pondering the situation I realised that I had probably dropped a Golden Perch that failed to hookup to the deep diver ( Saying I was gutted was an understatement, Allan has a knack of lending lures successfully ), turned around and pedalled back noticing it was getting dark fairly quickly... Hmmm now where had the two lovebirds gone?

Allan and Susie had nicked off back and entered Redfin land accompanied by an unidentified yak fisho in a SIK, spoke to him about fishing and informed him of AKFF.NET much to his amazement as he told me he has been fishing from a kayak for quite a while and didn't know there was a dedicated site... All that canoodling paid off and my new reel started to scream with a heavy fish, at one stage called it for a Carp as the line hit the surface early but once next to the yak 2 healthy Redfin were hauled into the net, 2 fish on the 1 lure but much bigger than Allan managed.

Paddled over to gloat but I could barely see him as it was close to 9pm, we all headed back eventually after a couple more Redfin each and packed the car to embark for our suburbs homeward bound, another wicked trip to LBG made even more pleasant by the great company and my new fishing pole ( Comet in the sky was pretty cool ), Allan and I both dreamed of the comming week with Funda receiving enough brownie points to pickup the new moss Outback from the Great Outdoors while my secret trip to Batemans Bay next Saturday loomed closer and closer and closer, more details to be announced sooner or later.


Lake Burley Griffin - Sunday 21st January 2007

With bugger all rest due to spending my evening polishing reports and recovering from Saturdays adventure, Claire and myself ventured over to the ramp at Black Mountain to meet Mr No show ( Funda was feeling a little crook from chasing wild birds )... Very very windy but commenced launch spying Victor in his Prowler 13 far in the distance to the left while we head towards the bank opposite the ramp avoiding the rowers and north westerly winds.

Claire brained a few Redfin ( As bloody usual, go the 'Stungun' ) pretty much wiping the floor with me early on but my bigger Redfin guesstimated at 37cm took the cake on 1kg gear, props to Funda for convincing me to get a dedicated light tackle combo as this fish fought harder than any I have encountered including the double hookups from the previous day on the same combo... I don't think they enjoy losing the freedom but im sorry I just don't want to lose that lure, it will be a sad, sad day when that happens ( I recommend spending the $12 - $14 dollars and investing in a silver Viking Talisman with red stripes ).

Bumped into Victor finally who exclaimed intensely his encounter with a big Golden Perch, very happy for you mate but you sure know how to make a yak fisho jealous... Im just glad its your first for the year and only your second in LBG ever ( Would those statistics be correct? ), Welcome to the Canberra native club mate as many of us have never caught anything of pure distinction like that man... Just dont get any more massive fat Golden Perch like that mate otherwise I might get a little cranky!