Widget By Devils Workshop

WELCOME TO KAYAK FISHING ADVENTURES :

This website was created to house internal and external drafts containing reports associated with the art of angling and our Kayak Fishing Adventures. Based in and around cities and locations throughout Australia, these tales of experience, knowledge and info are for all to enjoy and all content, text and images contained herein are deemed strictly copyright ( (C) 2006 - 2012, all rights reserved ).

For more information, please read our websites Terms of use.

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Canberra - Lake Tuggeranong 31/3/07 ( Archive )


Chores, chores, chores... So much work to do.

Going to Tackleworld on a Saturday morning sure is a pain in the neck, waking up early after an unusual extra two hour sleep in was bad enough but to be greeted with a cup of strong coffee and a warm croissant, I swear I was very close to boiling point or was that the kettle? ( Yes I am being a sadistic, sarcastic bastard but what’s new? ).

After some brief one sided arguments Claire offered to drive me to Fyshwick to pick up my new Scotty extender bars ( Like she had a choice mind you ) and of course whatever else I manage to ensnare deep within my grasp as I browse the isles lined with sport fishing goodness, its like a magical supermarket complete with hand baskets but this time I don’t hate shopping, I absolutely love it.

Arriving home with less money than what I left with is no big deal, it is a common occurrence both of us are used to so there was no need to hide the two Scotty bars, 90mm AC Invader, Predatek Boomerang 80, Sx 40, TN60 Jackall, Owner fingerless gloves and Gulp 4" Pumpkinseed Turtleback worms individually scattered over the dining room table. "You better do your chores before you go fishing!" muttered SWMBO, Oh yes chores, what did I have to do again... Watch a fishing DVD and fall asleep on the couch but only after I painstakingly unpack each bought lure, which requires me to rearrange my entire lure collection one by one, All this work is making me thirsty so as the Fishing DVD #5 appears on the television screen I demand lunch followed by a few glasses of coke to wash it down ( Just who do I think I am, Paris Hilton? ).

The quick feed and rest seem to do wonders so the day didn’t seem that lost yet, I log onto MSN and have a chat to Funda who had incidentally just woken up after missing out on the morning fishing trip, he was amped to give lake Tuggeranong a crack in the early afternoon with GracefulLily and I invited myself along considering the car was packed and ready to go. Claire’s back was killing her after loading all the gear and placing the kayak on the roof racks, making sure she had triple checked the packing of the vehicle I decided we were ready to go but only after I drank her sugar free Red Bull and pissed and moaned about what a crap day I was having, arriving 15 minutes early we met Allan and Suzi at the designated departure point on the smelly shores of one of the most coffee coloured bodies of water I have ever seen ( Lake Tuggeranong ).

Throwing the car keys at Claire after she unloaded I bid her farewell only to realise once launched she had my key card, why does being such a spoilt, evil bastard always have to backfire on me... I mean Jesus Christ she’s is only going to go to Woolworth’s and do the shopping for the next two weeks while I throw lures around from a five star kayak ( Well three star, it was the paddling 'Quest' after all ). I don’t have much luck with this lake, last time it was no fish and this time I had already decided was going to be no different, things went from bad to worse when I realised SWMBO deliberately bought me an extra packet of smokes for the trip, I had a flat sounder battery ( No not again, why didn’t she charge it? ) and the weather was just brilliant in a 'not too much wind' kind of way... I was kind of glad I had done all those chores though, so that would mean the roast dinner would have to be ready when the king returns home.

Pushing off into the small urban expanse that is Tuggeranong I followed wearily behind the two pedal powered craft headed for the dam wall, cursing the flat sounder battery I was once again fishing blind with absolutely no water visibility at all... Luckily for me Allan was keen to share basic structure information and lure choices, we commenced to churn the water to a pulp with Spinnerbaits drifting slowly backwards with the wind in our face.

Spreading out we covered all bases possible so someone was bound to get lucky sooner or later, beard or no beard Funda once again proved why he is one of the superior Murray Cod fisherman in Canberra and the region landing a very healthy Cod just shy of one hour on the water, paddling over I took some photos whilst listening to Suzi curse in the background only to get her own back when the released fish kicked its tail soaking poor old Allan to the bone, I must say though the pictures gained from this expedition look slightly eerie and amiss due to somebody’s lack of facial hair.

I tried chucking everything I could at these fish, 4x4 Spinnerbait, Smak Spinnerbait with stinger, various Jackalls, Rattlin' spot, Rebel Big Craw, Golden Child, River 2 Sea twin Vibe 60, Pakrat, Storm Hot 'n' Tot, G force but alas came up with nothing... Suzi was getting some big hits over the hours on a Spinnerbait ( Unknown make and brand ) and Allan had some moments but the natives ( And bloody Redfin ) decided the game was over not long after it had begun. "One last troll" I said to myself as I edged along the rocky shore next to the Dam, paddling against the wind slowly I heard my reel scream and noticed my rod arching heavily above the waters girth, finally I had some action or something like that only to find a heavy snag of some sort playing silly buggers with my emotional state...

The sun had set and the wind picked up, beckoning my wench to come pick me up we all paddled / pedaled over to the launch site to call it a day, might not have been the most productive day on the water for some ( Hoping my weekend gets better tomorrow, bloody Claire! ), Allan catching a native in a zone he has been targeting for the last 3 months since the NYE storm made it all worth while in the end... Even if he does look kind of odd these days.